I think people we make moves in our lives to make us more comfortable- we stay in a neighborhood or a job because it is comfortable. While there might be greater opportunities beyond our comfort zone, we are not creatures who seek change and the effort to get there can cause stress and strain. Is it worth it?
The longer McKoy and I are together, the more we appreciate the comfort of a good neighborhood and welcoming community. I imagine that all couples seek the same sense of comfort, but for us, our mixed race relationship makes it that much harder to find a community where we both "fit." I just read this article in the New York Times which indicates that the amount of people stating to be of mixed race on the census reports is drastically increasing, by as much as 80% in states across the country- that is amazing! And while the southern portion of the U.S. seems to be seeing the greatest increases, I can't help but wonder where these mixed race families are.
In looking for homes or new communities, McKoy and I feel like one of us is always the outsider, it is unfortunate that there are so few mixed communities in this portion of the country. A city may appear to be diverse when you look at the numbers, but the truth is that city is still divided by neighborhoods or pockets of one singular race. We found this to be especially true in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. So, as we consider a potential move almost 8 hours from where we currently are, we will do our best to find a home and community that will bring us and our (future) family comfort and support regardless of the color of our skin. Sounds easy, right?
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago