So… I’m considering going back to school. Not applying for a grad program quite yet, but taking a few classes in the program as a non-degree seeking student. To be honest, I’m really incredibly nervous about it. Even college was just something that I was supposed to do- an extension of high school, a necessary part of my future. But grad school is a bit scary.
There is a master’s program here in International and Comparative Education- it is a study of social and cultural implications on education worldwide- sounds right up my alley. That being said, I’m finding that if I want to take a class this fall, I am going to have to miss at least 4 classes because of my fall travel! Which in a class that meets once a week is really scary to me. So I’ve emailed the prof to see if she thinks I can still do the work and if it is ok with her that I miss that much class. We’ll see what she says.
Other than that, I have nothing super excited to report. I told McKoy this morning that although I was nearly miserable in my previous job… there were times when I was also still really excited about what was happening there. That usually translated into times when I was really excited to get out of bed and go to work. I haven’t felt that here yet. I’m slightly worn out by the level of bureaucracy involved in absolutely everything. It definitely pushes my patience- when I want to take on a project, I want to take it on now… and that doesn’t happen here!
This weekend with Mimi went well- we didn’t have a HUGE talk- but she saw McKoy’s photos around the apartment and I think that made it real for her- which is exactly what I wanted. At dinner she asked, “so, are you planning to go back to Jamaica this year?” It caught me totally off guard, but I said, “yes, after fall travel I’ll be planning a trip back.” Then we talked for a bit about whether I had enough vacation for a trip and all that jazz. I just keep holding my breath knowing that once she meets him, she’ll love him. How can she not? But up until that point, she definitely does not love him. That's ok... because I love him enough for both of us.
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago