Yesterday was my first university fair in India. There were some questions I was very prepared to answer and some that I wasn’t. Tomorrow I have a visit at a university, so I need to brush up on Business School info before then.
Today was a sight seeing day. We took a city tour by bus because it was raining. After the bus tour, we were supposed to take a boat to Elephanta Island- which is apparently beautiful. However, because of the rain and the rough water, it was not possible to do so. From 9-12:30 we did the tour of the city with the primary focus being the Festival of Ganesh- the elephant god, the god of prosperity and education. Today they were bringing statues of the god from all over the city- some big, some small. Tonight, the gods will be floated in the water and eventually set out to sink. I wish I could be out there watching, but…
Last night there were some major terrorist bombs let off in New Delhi. They were done by extremists who are against the Indian Hindu people. The bombs were let off in major busy areas of the city to have the maximum effect. They even found one bomb that had not yet exploded left in a children’s park. Because of these bombs, the tour group I am traveling with has decided not to visit the city of New Delhi. Instead, we will stay one day longer in Mumbai and then go a day early to Chandigarh.
Among other things on the tour, we had the opportunity to visit a Jain temple. It was not only quite beautiful, but I enjoyed learning about this very pacifist community and their ultimate desire for a pure and true soul. In addition, we were able to eat another Indian meal at a very beautiful restaurant. I had a lamb curry that was delicious.
Tonight a few of us plan to do some work and then just chill out and have some drinks. I used to be a big drinker, but not much these days. I’m more likely to be at home and on the phone than out having a big party. So, on this trip I’ve tried to continue that pattern which has proven difficult beacuse I’ve met some really awesome people
Like a waterfall in slow motion, Part One
3 years ago